If you have a chipped tooth, crooked or discolored teeth, or are otherwise unhappy with your smile, cosmetic dentistry may provide a solution. There are several different options and techniques that cosmetic dentists can use to restore your smile. Some can be performed in as little as one dental visit, and others take months or even years to complete.
Common Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic Bonding is a process that can restore chipped or cracked teeth using a tooth-colored composite resin material applied and shaped onto the tooth. This process can often be performed in under an hour at your dentist's office, and is best suited for more minor tooth restoration.
- Teeth Whitening can restore your smile to a brilliant, beautiful white through a special bleaching technique performed in your dentist's office. This is one of the least expensive and fastest ways to improve your smile.
- Dental Veneers are wafer-thin sheets of tooth-colored porcelain material that are applied to your teeth to create the perfect shape and shade. They are custom-made in a laboratory to specifically to match your existing teeth. Porcelain veneers are durable and can last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. However, they usually take a little time because your dentist may need to send a mold of your mouth to a laboratory to have the veneers made. This may require multiple visits to your cosmetic dentist.
- Dental Crowns sometimes called "caps" are designed to replace the entire exposed tooth from the gum line up. Crowns are used when the tooth has decayed or been broken, necessitating a replacement for the tooth.
- Dental Implants replace the entire tooth, from the root to the tip. Titanium posts are inserted into the bone socket where the tooth once was, then a crown is attached to the top to create a life-like tooth replacement. Dental implants are an excellent option when the tooth has been lost due to decay, disease, or injury. The process can take anywhere from a few months to a year depending on your case. They are considered a permanent solution and should last twenty years or more with proper care.
Not all dentists offer cosmetic dentistry, so it's important to find one who offers the procedure you're interested in. Nashua Smile Makers of Nashua, NH offer all types of cosmetic and general dentistry. If you are unhappy with your smile, schedule a consultation today with a cosmetic dentist to find out how you can have the gleaming smile you always wanted.